Wednesday, February 23, 2011

the least of these

"Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.'" (matthew 25:37-40-msg)

I woke up this morning with this scripture rolling in my mind.  I'd like to think it's because Jesus is reminding me of the people who were "overlooked and ignored" and I noticed.  maybe He's thanking me.  I'd like to think He's giving me props.

but I wonder if He's setting me up today.  you know.. opening my eyes before I get bombarded.  I wonder if He just wanted me to have it fresh on my mind before I go out into a world of 'overlooked and ignored".   today.

I come in contact with them all the time.  sometimes I wish I could put on glasses that flash a little one-liner over every person's head as I look at them.  just a phrase that gives me a clue.

..looking for a friend..
..fighting addiction..
..missing her mom..
..wishing he could die..

that way I'd just know what they're looking for.  I wouldn't have to guess.

if there's one thing I've learned, it's that you can't ever guess what someone's going through.  it's impossible to know all of a story just by looking at a person.  I mean, I've met some people who look good.  they put on expensive perfume and lipstick and bat their long eyelashes -- but inside they hate who they are -- and they have deep, deep hurts. 

I'm sometimes amazed at how long a 'cover' can last. 
but then again.. who of us wants our true 'self' to show all the time.  we all have days we are less than our best and we've learned to disguise well.. especially women. 
we are masters.

so for me this morning, I wonder if Christ has come to remind me that sometimes the 'least of these' isn't the suspected culprit.  sometimes it's the one who looks like they're ready for a night on the town.  sometimes it's not obvious.

today I pray I'll be able to see things as they are.
that my eyes will become His eyes.
boy... wouldn't that be nice. 


or would it?

No comments:

Post a Comment