Sunday, January 15, 2012

week 2 in the word

This weeks' scripture with our family is from John 10:3-5. 
Here it is:

The watchman opens the gate for
him, and the sheep listen to his
voice. He calls his own sheep by
name and leads them out. When he
has brought out all his own, he
goes on ahead of them, and his
sheep follow him 
because they know his voice. 
But they will never
follow a stranger, in fact, they will
run away from him because they
do not recognize a stranger’s
voice.

Have you ever received a phone call from someone and they started talking to you like you should know who they are?  They sound a little familiar but you can't put a face with the voice? 
I have.
I try to ask questions to keep them talking long enough for me to figure out who they are.  It doesn't happen very often - but when it does, I feel like I turn into a temporary detective.

I have a friend (who happens to also be my sister in law) I talk to often.  The minute I hear her voice I know who she is.  She can just call and say my name and I know it's her.  But that's because we have a history.  We talk all the time.  I know what she sounds like.  I can pick her voice out of a crowd.

I think my question is this..

If Jesus called you today, would you recognize His voice?  

Have you talked - have you listened -  to Him enough lately that He would sound familiar? 

I feel like this is one of the most important things I do as a parent:  Help my children learn how to know God's voice. 

There are so many things shouting at us in this world. 

When we're deciding where to go to college
when we're stressed and don't know where to start
when we wish we knew if "that girl" is really who God has for us to share life with
when we don't know whether to take the job
when we're faced with big decisions,  His voice is the one we want to recognize. 

He is who we want to hear.

I want to help them understand how to learn what God sounds like to them.
I want to teach them that if we spend time with Him, listen to Him, get to know Him, we won't confuse His voice with others. 

When we have well meaning friends
good pastors
great parents...

We should never confuse the voice of the majority with the voice of God.

His is the voice to lead us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment