Monday, January 30, 2012

The Word: Week 4

I consider myself a pretty good driver.  I'm sure my husband would add that I have a bit of a heavy foot.  But I'm (basically) a good driver.

I used to drive a school bus and through that training I learned to look all around me while I'm driving.  I usually noticed if someone is slowing down way up ahead, or if there's a car not paying attention and weaving out of their lane... I'm usually aware.

But I do have this one fault.

I can't look away for a minute.
Wherever my eyes go, my car goes.
If I look out the right window, my car steers right.  Every time. 
I've heard that NASCAR racers are told that if they start spinning out of control, not to look at the wall - because wherever your eyes look that's where you'll end up.
I don't know if if that's true or not for everyone - but it's sure true for me.

Listen to the Word of the Lord.

Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life. Put
away perversity from your
mouth; keep corrupt talk far
from your lips. Let your eyes
look straight ahead, fix your gaze
directly before you. Make level
paths for your feet and take only
ways that are firm. Do not
swerve to the right or to the left;
keep your foot from evil.
Proverbs 4:23-27

"Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you."
Ever think there's a scripture written especially for you?  Well this one is for me.

Fix your eyes.
Don't swerve to the right or to the left.  Keep your gaze on the One you're following.
If you don't you'll be off the path before you know it.


And I love how this passage begins.
"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

If there's anything we need to protect, anything we must guard, it's our hearts.  If everything else in our lives comes from within, it's pretty important that what's inside is in good shape.  What goes in must come out.. so we have to guard what goes in.  All the while, keeping our eyes straight ahead.  Fixed on the goal.  Looking at Him.




No comments:

Post a Comment